A domestic worker’s employment conditions must comply with Sectoral Determination Seven – Domestic Worker’s Sector. This requires that the following information is given to the domestic worker when you employ him or her as a housekeeper, gardener etc.
- The full name and address of the employer
- The name and occupation of the domestic worker, or a brief description of the work for which s/he is employed
- The place of work, and where s/he is required or permitted to work
- Date of employment
- The domestic worker’s ordinary hours of work and days of work
- The domestic worker’s wage or rate and method of payment
- The rate of pay for overtime work
- Any other cash payments s/he is entitled to
- Any payment in kind s/he is entitled to and the value of payment in kind
- How frequently wages will be paid
- Any deductions to be made from wages
- The leave s/he is entitled to
- The period of notice required to terminate employment, or if employment is for a specified period, the date when employment is to terminate
You can record this information in a written Domestic Worker’s Contract.
Please note that this information is supplied for general information and does not constitute legal advice. It is advisable for you to contact a legal practitioner for guidance in respect of your unique requirements.