Over 2,600 Happy South African Businesses
Renewal of Lease Agreement – No Agent Involvement
Our Clients & Partners
Trusted By 2,600+ Businesses
Legal Templates For All Industries
Backed By Legal Research
Renewal of Lease Agreement – No Agent Involvement
Renewal and renegotiation of rental terms between landlord and tenant without real estate agent.
- Saves money on agent fees.
- Direct communication with landlord.
- Opportunity for updated lease terms.
RENEWAL OF LEASE AGREEMENT /EXTENSION OF LEASE AGREEMENT
No Agent involved
Summary Where a landlord and a tenant want to extend the duration of their lease agreement over the leased premises, a Lease Extension Addendum may be signed to renew the lease. Amongst other things, the agreement specifies the new rental amount to be paid by the tenant.
Who should use a Renewal of Lease Agreement? A property owner and his/her tenant may use a Lease Agreement Extension Addendum when they agree that the tenant may rent the leased property for a longer period than originally agreed to, ie. when the parties agree to renew the lease.
Note: Ensure that you have already signed a Lease Agreement. This Lease Agreement Extension Addendum works with the Agreement of Lease (by renewing and extending the lease agreement already in place), and does not replace the Lease Agreement.
What does the Lease Extension say? The standard renewal of the lease agreement consists of: Introduction; Extension of the Period; Rental and Costs; General.
What does the template Lease Agreement Renewal look like? The addendum can be printed onto one page.
What do you need to do to use the renewal form?
- Complete the relevant details in the template lease renewal form. Ensure that the increased rental is specified.
- Read the document to ensure that it suits your requirements. Make changes as required.
- Ensure that the renewal of lease is signed by both the tenant and the landlord.
Also viewed: Termination of lease notice
Renewal of Lease Agreement Template without an Agent
A lease renewal agreement template without an agent involved, also known as a lease renewal agreement or renewal of lease agreement no agent involved, refers to the process of extending a lease term of an original lease (lease extension) between a landlord and a tenant.
The lease renewal agreement template does not involve the participation of an agent who acts as a mediator and facilitator in the lease renewal process. this in-depth look explores the significance of a lease renewal agreement, and the key aspects involved in renewing a lease.
There are leases that automatically renews for a set renewal term.
Understanding Lease Renewal and Extension
When a lease term is nearing its expiration, both landlords and tenants may consider renewing the lease. Lease renewal refers to the continuation of the existing lease agreement for an additional period of time.
It allows tenants to continue renting the property and provides landlords with a predictable income stream. Lease extension, on the other hand, refers to prolonging the lease term beyond its original end date. It is important to note the renewal date (effective date or start date) and any increases in monthly rent. Understanding these concepts is essential for both parties involved in the lease renewal process.
If landlord decides not to renew the original lease document after the original lease expires, the landlord will have to provide the tenants advance notice. (prior to the date on which the rental period or lease expires) The minimum required days are generally 90 days.
Parties Involved in a Lease Renewal Agreement
A lease renewal agreement involves several parties: the landlord, the tenant. The landlord owns the property and is responsible for providing the terms and conditions of the lease renewal. The tenant is the individual or business renting the property and seeks to continue occupying it.
The landlord and the tenant plays a crucial role in facilitating communication, negotiation, and documentation relating to the leased property. The template ensures a smooth and mutually beneficial lease renewal process for concluding a new lease/ new contract.
The renewal agreement can be used for both residential and commercial property.
The Process of Lease Renewal
The lease renewal process typically starts with the tenant providing proper notice to the landlord expressing their intent to renew the lease past its expiration date noted in the original lease (when the lease ends).
This notice should be given within a specified timeframe and in writing, as mentioned in the original lease agreement or as required by local regulations. Once the notice is received, the landlord and the tenant, can review the original lease or rental agreement agreement for the leased premises and discuss the terms of the renewal. This includes determining the renewal period, the full deposit and any other related costs, complete rental terms, end date, any rent increases and other fees payable by the tenant, for example, should the agreement specify that the rental shall escalate by a certain percentage during the renewal period, and other provisions to be included in the new lease contract to which the tenant agree.
Negotiating Lease Renewal Terms
During the lease renewal process, negotiations may take place between the landlord and tenant. These negotiations cover various aspects such as rent increase, lease period, and additional provisions. The goal is to reach a mutually agreed-upon renewal agreement that satisfies the interests of both parties. The parties plays a crucial role in facilitating these negotiations to which the parties agree, ensuring, for example, effective communication, and helping to address any concerns or issues raised by either the landlord or the tenant during the process to renew the lease.
Executing the Lease Renewal Agreement
Once the lease renewal terms are agreed upon, the next step is to document the lease renewal agreement. This involves preparing a new lease agreement or an addendum to the existing lease (also known as the original lease or current lease), which incorporates the agreed-upon terms as well as the same terms that were not changed in the original lease or current lease.
The lease renewal agreement should clearly state the renewal period, rental amount, security deposit and whether any additional security deposit is to be paid under the renewal agreement, determine the commencement date when the agreement between the landlord and tenant is of full force, square footage of the property up for rent renewal, lease terms of the new agreement, any changes to the original contract, the end dates of the lease renewal agreement and any new provisions that have been mutually agreed upon within the renewal agreement.
Both the landlord and tenant will need to sign the new lease contract, as well as any other party involved in the contract.
It is important for both the landlord and tenant to carefully review the document before they sign the contract to ensure that all terms are accurately represented at the time they sign.
Renewing a lease agreement provides a structured and efficient process for both landlords and tenants. By choosing to use a lease template, the lease renewal process becomes smoother, as the choice to use a lease template serves as a neutral intermediary and helps to facilitate effective communication and negotiation.
Whether it’s extending the lease term or agreeing upon new provisions, the lease renewal agreement protects the interests of both parties and allows for a seamless continuation of the landlord-tenant relationship.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can the lease renewal agreement automatically renew without further action?In some cases, lease renewal agreements may include an automatic renewal clause, which means the lease will renew automatically unless one party provides notice to terminate. However, this varies depending on the terms specified in the original lease agreement and the applicable state laws. It is important to review the lease agreement carefully to understand the renewal provisions.
- Is it necessary to involve an agent in the lease renewal process?Involving an agent in the lease renewal process can provide numerous benefits. An agent can help facilitate communication, negotiate favorable terms, ensure legal compliance, and assist in documenting the renewal agreement accurately. However, the involvement of an agent is not mandatory, and landlords and tenants can choose to handle the renewal process directly if they prefer.
- What happens if the parties cannot reach an agreement on the lease renewal terms?If the landlord and tenant cannot reach an agreement on the lease renewal terms, further negotiation or alternative options may be explored. This could include discussing compromises, seeking legal advice, or considering alternative rental options. Ultimately, if an agreement cannot be reached, the lease will expire, and the tenant will need to vacate the property as per the terms of the original lease agreement.
- Can the landlord increase the rent during the lease renewal?Rent increase during the lease renewal is possible, but it depends on various factors such as local rental market conditions, state laws, and the terms specified in the original lease agreement. If the landlord intends to increase the rent, they should provide proper notice to the tenant, as required by local regulations, and discuss the reasons for the rental increase.
- What should tenants consider before renewing a lease agreement?Before renewing a lease agreement, tenants should carefully evaluate their current needs and circumstances. They should consider factors such as the rental amount, the condition of the property, any changes in personal or business requirements, and the suitability of the location. It is advisable to review the terms and conditions of the original lease agreement and discuss any concerns or desired changes with the landlord or agent.
The Online Agreements Shop cc and its members, staff, legal advisers, partners and consultants, agents and any person associated therewith cannot be held liable for any loss or damage that is incurred or may be incurred by any person as a direct or indirect result of the use of this website or any document or information contained on or obtained from this website, nor as a result of anything that is contained in or left out of any document.